HEALTHY PLANT-BASED DELICIOUS SALADS
No 1 — The flavour bomb.
Originally published here: https://medium.com/a-vegan-life/vegan-salads-that-dont-suck-efc2e26dfe53
This is one of my absolute favourites. It’s my salad go-to. It’s so fresh and bursting full of flavour. Substantial enough to be a main, also great on the side and yummy in a wrap or pita. If you like bold flavours this is the one for you!
Ingredients and Instructions
Air fryer (ideal but not essential)
Blender or stick blender
Large mixing bowl
This will serve 2 people as a main meal or 4 as a side salad
For the Croutons
- Fresh garlic
(1 or 2 cloves should do it)
- Olive oil
(I dilute with water in a spray bottle about 50/50)
- Salt to taste
- Stale bread
(1 or 2 slices depending on how many croutons you want/bread you need to use up)
I use an air fryer for mine to make them extra crispy, but you can also bake, pan fry or griddle, just make sure turn regularly and remove when golden.
- Squash your garlic clove and peel (do not chop) then rub the garlic onto your stale bread
- Chop the bread into chunks (size is up to you)
- Add them to a large bowl, give your oil and water mix a good shake then spritz them. Give them a good toss and spritz them again to make sure they are well coated.
- Sprinkle with salt
- Add to the air fryer on medium to high heat and keep an eye on them as they tend to take a little while to start then burn very quickly.
Once they are cooked set them aside to cool.
You can keep them in an airtight jar for a couple of weeks — I doubt they’ll last that long.
For the Dressing
- 1/2 cup raw cashews that have been soaked cashews
(soak overnight or boil until plump)
- 1/2 plant milk (or as needed)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons capers
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Drain the soaked cashews and add to blender with the garlic
- Add all the liquid ingredients except the plant-based milk and blitz until smooth
- Add the remaining ingredients and blitz
- Add plant milk until you achieve your preferred consistency
Store in a jar in the fridge and it will keep for around 5–7 days.
For the Salad
- Plant-based greek style cheese 3/4 cup cubed
I like the Violife one but you can make your own — click here for a recipe
- Any salad leaves of your choice 6 x cups roughly torn
I like baby spinach, rocket (arugula), little gem and whatever is growing in my garden at the time
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley roughly chopped
You can sub this for curly if you can’t get flat-leaf
- 1/2 cup coriander roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup of dill roughly chopped
- Combine all of the ingredients in the large bowl and mix well
- Drizzle with the salad dressing
- Throw your croutons on the top with wild abandon
Sometimes we’ll throw some chickpeas (garbanzo beans) in as well for some extra protein and to make it extra filling. It’s also great with tofu and tempeh.
It is so delicious and bursting with flavour.
You can find more work by the same author here: